Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dana Ashley

It was when I was 5 years old.  Everyone should have known this was a sign of trouble ahead, but no one did.  I was in Kindergarden.  I loved school.  There wasn't a better place for a little extroverted, intuitive, thinking, judging kid than public school.  Right away I knew I would rule the joint.  When I stepped into my classroom I could smell the great times I would have, all the stories I could tell, all the other kids I could direct.  It was nirvana.  I had this cool pair of sunglasses that the lenses changed  out with like 4 different colors.  That caused my first trip to the corner.  Apparently changing the colors while your teacher is talking WAS FROWNED UPON IN THAT ESTABLISHMENT!  Why the hell did they name the school Joy school if you couldn't have great fun there?  I know, great question.  It was also frowned upon if you knocked a kid on the head that was bothering another kid.  More time in the corner.  And what was the deal with naps.  I never needed a nap, so I would talk to other kids who were trying to nap, yep - the corner.  I liked boys.  I think I liked them from the day I was born.  There was one boy who caught my eye.  When I look back at it now, I have no idea why.  He had none of the characteristics that I go for, except he had a fantastic imagination.  Dana Ashley.  He had two girl names (at least that is what I thought at the time).  He had long unkept blonde hair, he was little - shorter than me, he was so skinny and usually dirty.  He had this cool tank made out of cardboard.  I would go over to his house (usually without telling my parents - also frowned upon but there was a beating with the belt, not just a corner) and we would play and play.  The tank was painted in camouflage.  It was great fun.

Kindergarden was a wonderful time.  I don't remember my teacher's name so that must mean I liked her.  I seem to only remember the ones who left a lasting negative impression or scared the shit out of me.  I do remember that I got to bring home the class guinea pig one weekend. That was the best. I still have a slide with that image on it.  The only other thing I really remember clearly is the bus driver.  I still to this day do not know if it was a man or woman.  Five years old was a good time.  Sure I was constantly in trouble, but it was all worth it.