Friday, March 8, 2013

I loved TV

Ah, TV. I loved watching tv shows. I had a little black and white tv from when I was about 10 through college. His name was Peanut. He had a turn dial and got all the local stations plus channels 32 and 44 out of Chicago. I used a metal coat hangar for reception and foil. Reception was always better with foil. I loved Channel 32. It had all the Saturday afternoon spook movies with The Son of Svengooli. I loved Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, and Lon Cheney. Edgar Allen Poe was my favorite author. They used to creep me out then I couldn't sleep. I just gave the ghosts plenty of ammo always watching scary movies.

Channel 44 got the cartoons. Mostly crazy Japanese cartoons, but some good ones like Speed Racer, Underdog, Boris and Natasha, Bullwinkle, and the really smart dog with the little boy, I can't remember their names, but they led me through history. Peabody, that was the dog's name. And lest we not forget SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK!!!! You can view these on You Tube. There are so many!

Favorite all time show: hands down was Starsky and Hutch. The episode when Starsky was almost poisoned to death, I thought I was going to die.
Favorite variety show: The Carol Burnett Show. They laughed during every skit, so did I. Especially the Gone With The Wind skit.
Favorite cartoon: Speed Racer, however, Trixie was a worthless girlfriend
Favorite movie: all the old black and white movies (even though they were all black and white to me). Which reminds me...I never knew the Wizard of Oz had the big color scene when Dorothy opened the door of her house in Oz until I saw the movie in color as a teenager.

Remember all these theme songs?
Conjunction junction what's your function? Hooking up words and phrases and clauses...
VERB, that's the action!...
Lolly lolly lolly get your adverbs here...
I'm just a bill just a lonely old bill sitting here on capital hill...
Three six nine twelves fifteen eighteen twenty-one....

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer. He's a demon on wheels. He's a demon and he's gonna be chasing after someone....

Here's a story of a lovely lady who was bringing up 3 very lovely girls. All of them had hair of gold like their mother, the youngest one in curls.It's the story of a man named Brady who was living with 3 boys of his own. They were 4 men living all together, yet they were all alone....

Here they come, walk down the street, we get the funniest looks from everyone we meet. Hey hey we're the Monkees. People say we monkey around, but we're too busy singing to put anybody down...

Come on and zoom zoom zoom a zoom. Come on and zoom a zoom a zoom a zoom. We're all coming along. We're all singing a song...

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor, would you be mine, could you be mine? It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood a neighborly day for a beauty would you be mine, could you be mine...

Good times all the way around that's for sure.