Sunday, March 24, 2013

Now that was some snow!

1978. I was a paperboy with my brother. We had a neighborhood route. Eric was good at it, me not so much. I was never good with telling direction or remembering who on our route got the paper. Then came the collection work. I knew I wasn't cut out for sales early in life because I hated asking people for money. And I never knew what to say when they didn't pay me.

One winter the snow started. And it snowed, and it snowed, and it snowed some more. At the end of it we had at least 2 feet, probably more. Well our hometown was good at plowing so quickly the papers came. We had to trudge out into the snow and deliver the news. It became fun once we started digging in it to get to people's porches. Some of our customers had dug a little spot by their door and left silver dollars or other change for us. Payment for a job well done.

It was a big job to do with all that snow, but at the end we had enough money to go to the bakery and get donuts and milk. We dug our way to Franklin Road, easily crossed what was usually a very busy road and ate well. That place had the best cream horns I have ever eaten to this day.

Funny how every time it snows a lot, I think of that paper route. That big bag of papers strung across my chest as we rode our bikes on the route. I didn't do it long after Eric stopped. It just wasn't the same.