Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fried Peas

I am reminded of learning key lessons about cooking as my eldest stands in our kitchen frying chicken while we sit in the living room with the fire extinguisher. Okay that is an exaggeration, she is becoming quite the cook. But it does remind me of some great kitchen moments.

#5 Did you know that you are supposed to pour the liquid and the vegetables from the can into the pan to heat up? If you throw away the "juice" the peas fry in the pan.

#4 If you put too much water in the mix and don't boil it first the jello never solidifies, ever. I don't care what you do to it. Put it at zero Kelvin I dare you. It defies physics.

#3 Do not, I repeat, do not confuse salt and sugar. That will make the nastiest cookies ever.

#2 When your child says "the oven is on fire," go ahead and believe her.

#1 Never, I repeat, never joke when your mom makes cookies so hard they bounce off the floor. If your mom is my mom, she will proceed to send said cookies through the mail to you. The squirrels even rejected the cookies and threw them back at the house. The name of those cookies - Jello cookies. They will live in infamy.