Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I think we should go now

My parents came to visit. The weather was great, so we took a walk down the gravel road in front of our rural home. Midnite, our 90lb jet black Lab/Samoyed mix, was walking along with us. Dusk was just arriving and the air was crisp and inviting. A perfect night for a walk. At least until Midnite darted into the woods and came out with the neighbor's cat.

I don't think I have ever seen that look on my parents' faces before that moment or since. They looked at the dog, at the cat, and then at me. In totally non-Shelley fashion, I calmly took the cat from the dog, walked over to the woods and then walked into the woods. I came out alone a short time later, looked at my parents and said, "I think we should go now."

We didn't speak of that moment again until after we moved.