Friday, May 17, 2013

I have told you repeatedly to call me Mama

Calling me Mama wasn't working out for my youngest when she got into high school.  I had become a bit immune to hearing it and let's face it, in a crowded room, you pretty much turn around for every mama you hear except your own child's voice.  I have no idea why, it just goes that way.

So Em in all her sarcastic wisdom decided something that would break through a taboo that my generation saw as sacred...one day she began to talk and I wasn't paying the attention she believed the matter deserved.  All of a sudden I heard it.  It got my attention and I turned around and there she was.  

"That's right, SHELLEY, I'm talking to you."   

Shelley??  What happened to mama?  I couldn't help it. I started to laugh.  I don't particularly like my name, but the way she says it makes me like it just a bit more.  It has become the norm when she is irritated with me or is making a point that I seem to reject.  I rather enjoy the challenge my name invokes.

Now we have a pretty unique family style, we say things to one another that not every family would be comfortable with.  So she decided to do the same to her daddy, although that DID NOT go over well. My husband is Michael, but his given name is William.  He HATES, I mean HATES that name.  We think when he was a kid people used to call him Billy.  His dad's name is Bill, but his given name was Charles.  Good thing we didn't have a boy or I wouldn't have known what the hell to call him, but I digress...

So in all her sarcastic wisdom yet again, one day she let it fly.  Michael as usual wasn't listening, then we heard it.  "Billiam, I am talking to you, Billiam."  OH MY GOD!  I thought he was going to explode.  We were laughing he was not.  

There are only a few times, maybe less than that, that my husband has laid down the law.  This was one, "you will call me Dad."  Nuff said.

He is Daddy and I am Mama if she's agreeable and Shelley in all other situations... I wouldn't have it any other way.  If it was, we would be just like everyone else.