Saturday, June 22, 2013

This is all I have to show for it

Almost 25 years ago I embarked on this journey of impending marriage and children.  Here are the top 10 things I have learned:

10. If you get married right after advent, the church is already decorated...score!
9. Contrary to popular belief a woman can work right up to and on the day of her child's birth.  I can give 3 examples.
8. If you tell your boss you are having contractions, he makes you leave work.
7. You can break the sound barrier driving to the hospital when you live in the sticks and your child has a major asthma attack.  You almost get there before you left.
6. Compromise is a well traveled road.  So is "because I said so." 
5. Having the principal at school call you and say, "Mrs. Abrams, we caught your daughter on video doing..." is just as exciting as you thought it would be.
4. I love city water and sewer
3. You do not become your mother.  
2. Dogs know English. Don't let them convince you otherwise.
1. The bathroom is no longer your private place.  Someone always shows up. 

I'm ready for another quarter century.  Live long and prosper. May you never be alone.