Sunday, August 25, 2013

The original street walkers

Why did this come into my mind? I have no idea...

When you think of a street walker and you are my age, that is typically better known as a prostitute. But I know who the original street walkers were; my great-grandmother told me.

I was probably about 9 or 10 and was at my grandma's house.  We were watching the news which came out of Chicago.  There was a story about crime and cracking down on a ring of prostitution.  My grandma said back in the 20s women walked the streets to get away from their husbands always wanting sex.  There was a lot of drinking and carousing so the only way women could catch a break was to walk the streets until late into the morning when they would return to a sleeping husband and some peace. 

Apparently that was mistaken for illicit activity and the term stuck.  So now you know.  Once upon a time women walked the streets to get away from sex. Now they walk the streets looking for it.

That's a history lesson I definitely remembered.