Saturday, August 17, 2013

Uncle Wilmer

I received a call this week that my cousin Chris passed away.  I hadn't seen him in many years, but instantly thoughts of his father came to my mind - Uncle Wilmer.

Uncle Wilmer was an interesting man.  He never showed up to dinner on time and always left as dessert began...but he never left without a piece of cake in his hand.

His favorite was my little brother Darren.  Uncle Wilmer didn't know sign language but they could always communicate.  They had their own personal language.  He visited Darren on the night of his death, that I know for sure.

He was the original Leroy Jethro Gibbs.  By that I mean he was building a boat in his basement.  I always wondered how he would get it out and to this day I don't know the answer to that.  

He worked years at Carson Pirie Scott and there was a place downtown too.  He sold suits.  He always wore a suit.  He had many very expensive suits.  He was a well dressed man.  I remember visiting him and my Aunt Dorothy was a seamstress there.  

Rest In Peace Chris and I hope you have already seen Uncle Wilmer.