Friday, January 10, 2014

Flashback Friday

Remember the time in North Carolina when I went to Food Lion to grocery shop.  Yep, all 3 kids (under 4) and me for an exciting hour of shopping.  I do...

Got through the store, loaded up the kids, loaded up the groceries, and then the fun part...

Just as I was closing the lift gate at the back of the van I see them - the keys.  Inside the van.  Then everything goes into slow motion.  The door closing, the realization the doors will be locked,  the kids are in the car, cell phones aren't around, and I am a long way from home.

I valiantly try to get Erica to climb to the back and get the keys, but she cannot maneuver out of the car seat - damn those safety devices doing what they should.  Then I try to get the 2 year old to unlock the locks.  Ha!  Laughing and clapping was all I got as she thought it was a great game.  That's what I get for putting Erica in the middle seat.  Erica repeated everything I said to Erin.  I was actually kind of glad Erin didn't understand her.  It would have given me a complex, in addition to the bad mother one I already had.  Finally I leave the kids and run into the store and share my story.  I get the standard dumb mother with too many kids eyeball roll from the manager and then he lets me use the phone.  My husband comes and all is well.  

I end up locking my keys in the car several more times over the next many years.  Apparently locking my kids in the car didn't teach me a thing.  Ah memories...